Why We Need the Storm

If there were no storms, we would never rejoice over serenity.

If there were no rain, we would never fully appreciate blue skies.

If there were no darkness, we could not contrast it with light.

If there were no thunder, we wouldn’t enjoy the quiet.

If there were no turbulence, we wouldn’t need a mighty Stronghold, we wouldn’t know Peace in the midst, we wouldn’t cling to a Savior who holds all things in the palm of His hand.

What is your storm?  Does fear grip your heart?  Are there uncertainties about tomorrow?  Do you wish someone would send you a memo–a blueprint mapping out how things are going to turn out?

“Trust Me dear one”, He says.

“I am not surprised.  I am working all things for your good.  Open your hands and let it go.  Watch what I can do.  If I am for you, who can be against you?”

Praying that YOU would find peace in your storm, and Him sufficient to bear you up.  You will be OK.  He will carry you.

32 Responses to “Why We Need the Storm”

1. Mrs. Santos says:

So true. Praise the Lord. This applies to our lifestyle too. Kindness shines brighter next to rudeness. Love deeper when next to hate. Generosity is richer next to greed and selfishness. When we are obedient even in difficult circumstances, God’s light shines through us. Praying for you. I have been sharing your testimony with so many people who know about the storms but have never (or would never) read your blog. They have been amazed. For some, it has put the fear of God in them. Seeing the devastation in your life, yet how God is providing for you has made them look so closely at the state of their soul. Wow. God is good. Thank you for sharing your life with us. Again, praying praying praying for you and your family.

2. We have just survived a storm of enormous magnitude and I can testify that my God can move MOUNTAINS!! He just moved Mt. Everest for us and we give Him all the Glory. And we are simply giving thanks that we can once again simply breathe. He IS Sufficient!

We are so very thankful that He continues to be Glorified through the words of your testimony. Thank you for your faithful words. We are praying for all of you.

3. Quinn says:

You are an amazing encouragement as always Kelly!

4. Catherine says:

5. Manuel says:

AMEN! That is so true! Praise the Lord for his wisdom!
    I recently heard that in countries where nature is wonderful and where hardly ever are storms, famines or droughts, the people have a harder time thinking they would need God for something…
    We really should thank the Lord in everything!

6. Linnie Lues says:

What a message coming from you Kelly! Thank you so much!
    Our whole family is praying for you!
    And little Jax is beautiful!! I lost our 9th baby 2months ago at 12 weeks, thank you for reminding me to only trust God in this storm (I’m already 42 and don’t know if I’m going to have the privilege of having another precious baby.)
    Lots of love

7. Tiffany says:

This post was so beautiful. This tragedy has caused us to realize just how much we take for granted and how short time here really is and how we really need to get busy doing what God put us here to do. My husband has been there the past few weekends helping. I think you may of gotten to talk with him this trip, his name is Billy. This is something that you all there have used for the glory of God. I am so amazed at how you all have reacted to all this(even the Lee family). Your faith in the Lord is amazing. We have 8 children and are expecting our 9th child and this really touched us. Hopefully one day our families can get together to rejoice in just how awsome our God is!!! God bless your family and you let us know if you need anything and you always , always have a place to stay here!!!! My email address is tbllrd@gmail.com

Tiffany,

Hugs to you–I met your husband yesterday and we are so humbled by his and the groups open arms and eagerness to pour themselves out. So blessed by all of this and all the great people we’ve had the privilege to meet. It’s neat to see how the Lord uses things to touch our lives in ways not possible otherwise.

8. Amanda W says:

Thank you! I needed to hear that today!

9. Mrs. B says:

Praying for you all, especially you and new baby (our little one is just now one month old) as you recover in a multitude of ways. God is good all the time. God bless you all.

10. LuAnne says:

Absolutely, totally, and wonderfully true!

You are in my prayers – and I am so thankful for your example of “faith in adversity” too.

I agree with Catherine’s comment:

“God is using your storm to touch a lot of lives. Thank You. God is using you in mighty ways!”

Thank you for your example of faith!

11. Kristi says:

Such sweet encouragement!!! Life gains perspective after a storm! Thank you, Lord for the storms!

12. Praying for you sweet, friend! Thank you for pouring out what God is pouring in!

13. Kim M says:

Just what I needed to read today….

14. Diane says:

Oh how that touched my heart today. Especially being reminded of “if I am for you, who can be aginst you?”
    Thank you kelly. You never cease to amaze me. 🙂 blessings to you and your family in a mighty way.

15. Angela says:

Ah, such encouragement when I truly need it! Thank you.

16. Milah says:

Kelly, You are such a blessing to so many! May I have permission to share this post and attach a link to your blog from mine. I would also like to borrow a few pictures, only to give encouragement to those who ask God why He allows these things happen. My intention is to share the good news that God is with us, even in the storms of life. I’m praying for your family, friends and neighbors who have been affected by this storm. Blessings to you all!

17. Nancy Capps says:

Kelly,
    I just read your words to my mom who is lying in a hospital bed, just diagnosed with stage 4 cancer. Your words were just what we needed to hear this morning. I’ll continue to pray for your family as you start the rebuilding process. God bless you and your family.

18. Mary R. says:

Sorry for all this that has happened to you, Kelly. But God will “sanctify to you your deepest distress” as the words in the old hymn go. We have had some very horrible things happen to us over the years and God has always worked them out for our good — brought us into better circumstances than before, taught us compassion for others, used them for our spiritual maturity. And, of course, I’m very glad that all of you are ok.

19. Peggy Lorenz says:

Thank you, dear Kelly…just thank you.

Beautiful thoughts, Kelly. Your words “What is your storm?” brought tears to my eyes. In the middle of your storm, you are reaching out to others. I am so moved!

Have a most blessed Mother’s Day! Always praying…

21. Amy B. says:

Happy Mother’s Day to one of the most amazing and inspiring mothers I know! Thank you for being faithful to this great calling of motherhood and like Mrs. McDonald said above,”for pouring out what God is pouring in!” You have continually cast a beautiful vision of the nobility of this life work. You have challenged me to not just say with words, but with my life that Scripture is all sufficient. You have blessed me more times than I can count, and I’m thankful that God has provided a ‘momma mentor’ through you in this strange and wonderful world wide web.

Hugs and continued prayers,
    Amy B.

22. Renata says:

Thank you Kelly for sharing this with us – so very true. You are a blessing to us all.
    With prayers
    Renata:)

23. I love your attitude about storms. Thanks for sharing

24. Cindy O. says:

Thank you for those words. I have a few of my own storms right now and I’ve been anxious all weekend. This morning God showed me His personal awareness of me and my life. Two of my “storms” got some much needed help. He kept whispering to me and although I completely believed Him the human part of me, the fallible part of me, had a hard time internalizing the peace He was giving me. Both situations are still unresolved but I am seeing His mighty hand calming the storm.

25. Allison says:

I’m sure all the people who have not been the beneficiaries of such an outpouring of support feel the same way. And I’m sure the people who lost friends and relatives wouldn’t take back the storm, either. I’m sure they feel that it was entirely necessary.

26. Tokajein says:

This was truly a beautiful thing to read.
    Answered some questions within myself, and will help me answer the question of some others.
    thank you.

27. […] Crawford shares Why We Need The Storm on her website Generation […]

28. […] am amazed by the people who can stand up and say what they say as Kelly does here: If there were no storms, we would never rejoice over […]

29. wow, all i can say is these people posting on this need to learn to read because you answered the question many times. NONE OF THESE NUMBERS WILL WORK FOR PAYSITES