Motherhood, Moses and the Beauty of Broken Vessels

broken_vessels

Motherhood, Moses and the Beauty of Broken Vessels

It was a simple prayer…but I couldn’t stop sobbing.

During church this morning, during intercessory prayer–just like every Sunday, a prayer was offered up for the expecting moms in our church, of which I am one 😉

The prayer went something like…”Thank you, Lord, for the incredible gift of immortal souls whom you have given us to bring up to love You.”

At that moment, the weight of my responsibility met with my overwhelming feelings of inadequacy, and I began to sob.

“It’s too big, Lord…it’s too hard”, were the silent cries of my heart.

And as unexpectedly as the tears came His voice…”Remember Moses”.

I flipped through my Bible after the prayer, and scanned through the call to Moses in Exodus to rescue God’s people from Egypt.

Moses pleaded with God three times–even while beholding the miracle of the burning bush–that he was not capable.

The first time he said…”WHO AM I?” (3:11)

The second time he said…”BUT THEY WILL NOT BELIEVE ME OR LISTEN TO ME.” (4:1)

The third time (can you imagine his desperation)…”I CAN’T EVEN TALK RIGHT!” (4:10)

And God’s answer to Moses was, “Certainly I will be with you.”

God doesn’t call perfect people to do His work (praise Him!)

He chooses the broken, the imperfect, the weak, so that His power can be revealed. (“Therefore I will glory in my infirmities, for when I am weak, You are strong.”)

And God says to this mother, and to you…”Certainly I will be with You.”

Most definitely. You can be sure of it.

I do feel, as Moses must have, that my task is too much sometimes. And God knew the task was too much for Moses…if Moses were given it to do alone.

But God said to Moses…”I AM that I AM”.

And He is for us…

All He wants–all He has ever wanted is a willing, obedient heart. That is the only vessel through which He can show forth His power.

“Father, make me a willing vessel, broken as I am, through which You demonstrate Yourself to the world.”

18 Responses to “Motherhood, Moses and the Beauty of Broken Vessels”

1. Crystal Richey says:

Thank you for that, just what I needed to hear.

2. authenticallyme says:

Thats an awesome revelation! I absolutely LOVE that prayer! Sounds like quite the encouraging day…I agree, God will certainly be with us. 🙂

3. Mrs. Imperfect says:

Of COURSE God does not call perfect people – for there are NONE!

You are doing the best that you can, and you are human enough to call on your Father when you realize that you need help!

That is where we ALL should be! And thank you for reminding us!

God bless you during this most special time, and your child too!

4. Sweet Blessings says:

Amen sister! I love being pregnant-and am currently too. I think God uses that time to intensify our thoughts and emotions on Him-it’s hormones-yes, but at the same time I find myself getting teary-eyed at situations that other times I might overlook and I’m thankful God still is working on me. Blessings to you from one broken vessel to another!

5. Sue says:

Crying and praying wih you. Thanks for sharing that.

6. Amy says:

Thank you for being so open to hear God and share what He wants you learn, what He teaches and says. Thanks you so much for this post and your blog.

7. Sarah says:

That is so wonderful that your church prayer time includes prayers for the expectant mothers. Wow. Of course, if they did that at my church I would be very self-conscious, since I’m the only one!

8. Mrs. Anna T says:

Oh Kelly, I can so relate! At the beginning of my pregnancy, I felt so inadequate, so incapable. Now, just a few weeks before our child is due, I still wonder: how can I be trusted with such an awesome responsibility? Yet, He makes no mistakes! He is the One who places those little ones in our arms.

9. Dani says:

Thanks for sharing that, it is just beautiful and so encouraging.

10. Bethany Hudson says:

What a great reminder, thank you! I have a 16-month-old daughter now and another baby due this spring, and I can completely relate to this. Especially with all the “expert” advice out there. 😛 But, you are so right, my children are first and foremost GOD’s children, and He will step in in strength when I am too weak.
    ~Bethany

11. Treasurekeeper says:

Yeah! Another baby :)!!! Congratulations :)!!!!
    Thank you for this post, I have felt like this often, especially since the birth of my fifth baby three months ago. It is such an awesome and at times a seemingly overwhelming responsibility but at the same time such a worthwhile and sweet one and I am looking forward to more, Lord-willing in His timing.
    I don’t comment often at all but I love your blog :)!

12. Katy Lin :) says:

beautiful! thank you for such a wonderful reminder! 🙂

13. Rose says:

Incredible Biblical story

14. Amanda says:

Thanks so much!! Very encouraging reminder. Just met with a friend struggling with her 10 year old son and his math. Wanting perfection from herself and from him…just as I do. Amazing how I can give the right advice to others and never receive it to myself. I am going to share this link with her as well. I really enjoy your blog. Thanks.

15. […] of the greater rewards of being emptied. I’ve had similar, encouraging epiphanies about motherhood and broken vessels. When my back hurts and round ligament pain makes me wince, I tell my children, I did it for you […]

16. […] isn’t limited. I have to remember that He has always delighted to use, not strong people, but empty people through which His strength can be […]

17. […] One of my greatest epiphanies as a mother who often feels overwhelmed was reading about Moses.  I shared my epiphany in the post, Moses and Motherhood:  The Beauty of Broken Vessels. […]

18. […] knowing of the greater rewards of being emptied. I’ve had similar, encouraging epiphanies about motherhood and broken vessels. When my back hurts and round ligament pain makes me wince, I tell my children, I did it for you […]