My Mother…Reflections on Mother’s Day

My mother has had over three dozen children. She gave birth to two, but giving birth isn’t really what makes one a mother, is it?

It’s the hard stuff. The stuff my mother has done over half her life, with little accolades and with no earthly payment. The mother-stuff.

And the most important of her jobs? BEING THERE. Being available….the heart of what it means to serve.

She never thought of being anywhere else. She was a wife and mother, and she was needed. Still is. And she is still there…available. Serving. That’s my mother.

My mother and I are hardly anything alike. I actually inherited far more of my father’s qualities, which made my mother’s life more…challenging, and I’ll leave it at that.

I wish so much to be more like my mother–more sacrificial, more in tune to needs around me, more willing to place my needs and wants behind those of my family.

Yes, my mother is amazing.

She’d rather be in the kitchen cleaning up the dishes than talking politics around the table. She’d rather serve the food than mingle with the guests. And regardless of what she’d rather be doing, she does what needs doing because that’s what ย mothers do.

My dad is strong, wise and capable. And yet he is only half a man without my mother. She completes him because she serves him. She completes our family because she serves us.

There will be a gaping hole in our lives when my mother isn’t in it.

I’m so grateful to have had a mother available for me, willing to lose her life every day.

I rise up and call her blessed while it is Today.

15 Responses to “My Mother…Reflections on Mother’s Day”

1. Jennifer says:

Amazing ๐Ÿ™‚

What a beautiful tribute to your mother, Kelly. And thank you for reminding us of the inestimable value of a mother BEING THERE for her family. My husband and I were privileged to have been raised by mothers who were always available for us, too, and what a blessing it was, though I didn’t realize it or live like it for a very long time.

I had to chuckle a little at how similar your mom is to my MIL, who you won’t find mingling or engaging in much political talk, either ๐Ÿ˜‰ But, oh those dishes, and cooking, and baking…she raised eight children, and she is right in her element when she’s in her kitchen serving! Everybody loves to gather there when they go home!

Have a happy Mother’s Day, Kelly, with your mom and with your children, and may you and your mom have many more years together ๐Ÿ™‚

3. Cathy says:

Is your post a veiled condemnation of women who work outside the house?! I’m TOTALLY kidding…

Your mom sounds much like mine–Godly, giving, selfless, full of integrity and hard-working. She never had it easy, but her constant refrain was, “In everything give thanks…” I Thessalonians 5:18

I still miss her. She died (but she’s more alive than ever, because she’s with Jesus) when she was 43. Cherish the time with your mom.

Happy Mother’s Day, Kelly!

4. Jennifer says:

Happy Mother’s Day ladies ๐Ÿ™‚ I’m so glad I got to meet your little nation, Kelly ๐Ÿ™‚

• Kelly says:

Jennifer–love it…you’ve got the lingo ๐Ÿ˜‰ Glad we got to meet YOU.

• Jennifer says:

๐Ÿ™‚ Which one of your little ones sang with you in the CD? LOVED it, btw. And do you still sell washer necklaces?

Bria, Ashton and Alexa actually sang with me…it was recorded 5 years ago so their were younger ๐Ÿ˜‰ So glad you like the CD.

Alexa made the washer necklaces and we don’t have any right now. We did until the storm.

• Jennifer says:

Wow, three kids singing! I’ll keep my eye on the products page and look around other blogs, as I have a friend who’d love a washer necklace, and I’d love more myself ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Charity says:

What beautiful things to say of your mother Kelly!

Happy Mother’s Day! ๐Ÿ˜€

6. Adeline says:

This is so beautifully written.My mom is kinda like your too- she’s very selfless & giving by nature. I wish your mother a very Happy Mother’s Day!

7. Kim M says:

A beautiful tribute…

8. […] Kelly Crawford says of her mother: She never thought of being anywhere else. She was a wife and mother, and she was needed. Still is. And she is still thereโ€ฆavailable. Serving. Thatโ€™s my mother. […]

9. I think motherhood can be a good thing…if you want to do it. We shouldn’t be forcing our kids to grow up to fast. What if your girls want to go to college? College isn’t such a bad thing; not all of your kids will get corrupted in college. The ones who do, well that’s how we know that they were a bit weak-minded and went with “every wind of doctrine.” Is motherhood self-sacrificing…of course, but the same thing could be said about any profession. I think at the end of the day it’s about what you’re passionate about…not necessarily what you’re body can do. If you’re passionate about having kids…chances are you’re gonna do it, but if you’re passionate about creating a multi-billion dollar digital media corporation…chances are you’re gonna do that.